GRAMBLING, La. | Cameron Shannon delivered a walk-off double in the bottom of the seventh inning as the Grambling State University baseball team capped a seven-run comeback to split Sunday’s Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) doubleheader with Arkansas-Pine Bluff at Wilbert Ellis Field at R.W.E. Jones Park.
The Tigers (18-18 overall, 11-7 SWAC) trailed 9-3 entering the bottom of the seventh, but plated seven runs on five hits and took advantage of a costly Golden Lions error in picking a 10-9 victory. Grambling State dropped the opening game of the day, 12-8.
Game 1 (12-8 Loss)
Arkansas-Pine Bluff (12-16, 9-7) opened the game with three runs in the first inning, but Grambling State (17-19, 10-8) answered with five runs in the second to grab a 5-3 advantage.
With one down in the inning, Isaiah Torres singled to right center and came in to score when Drexler Macaay doubled to right center. Garret Smith followed with a base hit to right to advance Macaay to third. Trevin Bolden singled through the left side to plate Macaay. Both runners advanced a base on a wild pitch and with two down, Ace Felder walked to load the bases. Smith scored on a wild pitch and Marshawn Taylor singled to right to plate Bolden and Felder to give the Tigers a 5-3 lead.
The Golden Lions tied the game at 5 with two runs in the third and took a 7-5 advantage with a pair of runs in the top of the fourth. The Tigers came roaring back and tied the game at 7 with two runs in the bottom half of the inning, but Arkansas-Pine Bluff used a five-run sixth to cruise to a 12-8 win.
In the nightcap, Arkansas-Pine Bluff jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead with a pair of runs in the first inning.
Grambling State answered in the third with three runs on four hits to grab a 3-2 advantage.
Bo Fletcher led off the frame with an infield hit advanced to second on a one-out base hit to right by Taylor. Both runners came in to score on a two-out double by Rafael Ramirez to tie the game at 2. Isaiah Torres singled to left as Ramirez came around to score, giving Grambling State a 3-2 lead.
However, the Golden Lions answered with four runs on three hits and took advantage of an error to take a 6-3 lead.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff plated three runs in the top of the seventh and appeared to cruise to the win, but Grambling State had other plans.
Shannon opened the frame with a single up the middle and advanced to second on a Bo Fletcher. Ace Felder followed with a base hit to left to load the bases. After a pitching change, Taylor reached on a fielder’s choice as Felder was out at second, but Shannon scored. Fletcher came in to score on a passed ball and with two outs, Ramirez reached on an error by the Golden Lions’ right fielder as Taylor scored.
Still with two outs, Isaiah Torres singled through the right side as Ramirez stopped at third. Macaay was hit by a pitch to load the bases for the second time in the frame. Garrett Smith drew a walk to bring in Ramirez and that set the stage for Shannon. On the very first pitch he saw from Arkansas-Pine Bluff reliever Sergio Esparza, Shannon doubled down the right field line as Smith just beat the throw home to give the Tigers the walk-off victory.
Inside the Numbers
* In the opener, Grambling State finished with eight runs on 10 hits, committed four errors and left six on base.
* Drexler Macaay and Garrett Smith each went 2-for-3.
* Trevin Bolden went 2-for-4 with one RBI and two runs scored.
* Marshawn Taylor, Richard Ortiz, Rafael Ramirez and Isaiah Torres each registered one hit a piece.
* Christian Marquez started on the mound, going four innings and giving seven runs (five earned) on seven hits, with four walks and four strikeouts.
* Ryan Evans and Kaelin Woodard pitched in relief.
* Ryan Evans (2-3) took the loss as he was tagged for five runs on four hits, with two strikeouts in two innings of relief.
* Arkansas-Pine Bluff plated 12 runs on 11 hits, with two errors and stranded eight baserunners.
* Tyrus Lopez (5-2) started on the hill for the Golden Lions and surrendered seven runs on nine hits, with one strikeout and four walks in 5.1 innings of work.
* Cody Widman pitched 1.2 innings of relief and gave up one run and one walk.
* In the second game, Grambling State recorded 10 runs on 11 hits, committed two errors and left five on base.
* Isaiah Torres, Bo Fletcher, Marshawn Taylor and Cameron Shannon (three RBIs and one run scored) each registered two hits.
* Ace Felder, Rafael Ramirez and Drexler Macaay finished with one hit apiece.
* Anthony Hernandez started on the hill and surrendered six runs (two earned) on five hits, walked three and fanned three in four innings of work.
* Daniel Beizer (5-1) picked up the victory in three innings of relief. He gave up three runs on four hits, fanned three and walked one.
* Arkansas-Pine Bluff finished with nine runs on nine hits and stranded four on base.
* Tim Reynolds worked six innings and did not figure into the decision as he surrendered six runs (two earned) on five hits, with three strikeouts and three walks.
* Sergio Esparza (1-1) took the loss in just 0.2 of an inning in relief. He was tagged for four unearned runs on two hits, with one walk.
News and Notes
* Grambling State honored 10 seniors – Jonathan Reid, Daniel Wilson, Christian Marquez, Elijah Saunders, Anthony Hernandez, Raul Baduel, Chris Perez, Daniel Beizer, Bo Fletcher and Marshawn Taylor – prior to Sunday’s opening game as part of Senior Day at Wilbert Ellis Field at R.W.E. Jones Park.
Grambling State returns to action on Tuesday at Wilbert Ellis Field at R.W.E. Jones Park against Louisiana-Monroe. First pitch against the Warhawks is set for 6 p.m.
Follow Grambling State Athletics
For complete coverage of Grambling State athletics, please follow the Tigers on social media at @GSU_Tigers (Twitter), /gramblingstateathletics (Facebook), @gramblingathetics01 (Instagram) or visit the official home of Grambling State Athletics at gsutigers.com.
Sports Information Director
Grambling State University