Is a DeWalt or Ryobi leaf blower better?
The ritual hum of leaf blowers fires up in the fall and marks the change in season as much as vibrant leaves falling from the trees. Removing fallen leaves not only improves your yardâ€™s appearance but also performs another important function: They provide good mulch for flowers and shrubs, keeping weeds out and locking moisture in.
Youâ€™ll need a leaf blower to efficiently and effectively complete your yard cleanup, and which leaf blower you choose depends on how much yard you’re caring for.
DeWalt leaf blower
Leaf blowers make quick work of removing a treeâ€™s worth of fallen leaves. Whether corded or battery-powered, DeWalt leaf blowers get the job done. They’re durable and well-constructed for ease of use.
Their prices vary depending on size, power source and motor speed. Expect to spend $60-$400.
DeWalt leaf blower pros
- Variable speed control: You won’t always need maximum airspeed for blowing smaller areas, such as patios or decks. DeWaltâ€™s speed control lets you choose how much power you need for the job.
- Round nozzles: Round nozzles force more air out, letting you cover a larger area more efficiently.
- Lightweight: Although batteries add weight to your leaf blower, corded versions weigh just a few pounds.
- Brushless motors: These motors are designed to waste no energy and be more efficient. For battery-powered leaf blowers, this means a longer run time on a single charge.
- Quiet operation: Most DeWalt leaf blowers operate under 66 decibels. This is around the level of a normal conversation between two people. Your neighbors will appreciate this quiet operation.
DeWalt leaf blower cons
- All electric: No gas-powered options means that DeWalt leaf blowers are not designed for all-day use over large areas.
- High-speed battery drain: Battery life at high speeds is much shorter than advertised. Itâ€™s best to use high speeds in a burst before shifting to the lowest setting to prolong runtime.
- Motor power: They may not be powerful enough to move wet leaves. A burst of air might get them moving, but soggy debris wonâ€™t budge on lower speeds.
Best DeWalt leaf blower
This high-efficiency leaf blower with a brushless motor weighs in at just over 9 pounds. It is designed for everyday use and has a variable speed trigger with a speed lock to maintain blower outputs. It includes a 60-volt battery and charging dock.
This blower pushes air at up to 125 miles per hour. Even at this high velocity, it’s relatively quiet, reaching a maximum of 66 decibels. It weighs in at just 5 pounds. The starter kit includes the battery and charging base. At low speeds, it can run up to 90 minutes on a single charge.
This kit is perfect if you’re just starting to assemble your lawn care tools. The brushless motor on the leaf blower means longer run time on the battery. It’s lightweight with an ergonomic design that’s balanced for freedom of movement. A variable trigger offers speed control to increase run time or add power. It comes with a spare battery and battery charger.
Ryobi leaf blower
Ryobi leaf blowers are built for professionals and home lawn care alike with versions powered by battery, gas and electric cords. They also have gas-powered backpack models for larger jobs.
These blowers are in the $100-$300 range. Leaf blowers designed for smaller jobs cost much less than those used by lawn care professionals.
Ryobi leaf blower pros
- Superior blowing power: While most leaf blowers blow around 300 cubic feet per minute, some Ryobi models have more than doubled that with speeds up to 730 cubic feet per minute. This is the equivalent of moving air across the ground at 190 miles per hour.
- Variable speed trigger: This lets you tailor the air speed to the job at hand.
- Compatible batteries: All battery-powered Ryobi blowers are compatible with the 40-volt batteries used across its lawn care line.
- Round and flat tips: Round tips deliver more air, but flat tips let you precisely focus the flow.
Ryobi leaf blower cons
- Battery drain: At the highest speeds, run time on battery power is just over 10 minutes. This is not enough time for big jobs.
- A little louder: Most Ryobi leaf blowers operate at a slightly higher decibel range than DeWalts: 72 to 77 decibels. This is still relatively quiet, though higher-end Ryobi blowers are much quieter.
- Weight: Battery-operated Ryobi leaf blowers can be heavy, weighing in at nearly 11 pounds with battery in place.
Best Ryobi leaf blower
This battery-powered blower comes with two batteries and a charger. The brushless motor runs at 730 cubic feet per minute. At 57 decibels, it’s the quietest leaf blower in the Ryobi line. A variable speed button includes a turbo button to increase air output. It also has a cruise control feature for clearing yard areas without holding the trigger. The rapid charger powers batteries up to four times faster than a standard charger. It comes with a five-year warranty.
Sold by Home Depot
This two-cycle backpack blower is designed for residential use with 760 cubic feet per minute, variable trigger and cruise control. The shoulder straps are comfortable and adjustable, and the back is contoured for a day of work in the yard. It comes with a three-year warranty.
This corded electric blower has less power, but jet fan technology means you can still move dry and wet leaves with ease. It has two speeds and a soft grip handle for comfortable operation. Itâ€™s also backed by a three-year warranty. Additionally, itâ€™s best for smaller yards.
Should you get a DeWalt leaf blower or a Ryobi leaf blower?
If the extent of your lawn care consists of blowing leaves off a patio every now and then, a DeWalt leaf blower (or even a simple broom) will do the trick. However, the superior performance of the Ryobi blowers, along with the added option of a gas-powered backpack blower, makes this brand the standout choice.
Want to shop the best products at the best prices? Check out Daily Deals from BestReviews.
Sign up here to receive the BestReviews weekly newsletter for useful advice on new products and noteworthy deals.
Suzannah Kolbeck writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.