Monroe, La. (12/04/19)— KEDM Public Radio, 90.3 FM, at the University of Louisiana Monroe (ULM), is providing books to second and third graders at local schools as part of the “Give the Joy of Learning” fundraising campaign.
This program is in its fourth year, aiming to impact 2,000 students in 12 schools across three parishes in northeast Louisiana.
According to the Institute of Educational Science Nation’s Report Card, 74% of public school fourth graders in Louisiana are unable to read at grade level. This program hopes to change that statistic.
Therefore, when donors give to KEDM between now and December 11, they will deliver a book in the donor’s name to a child in an area school.
Every $20 donated gets one book in the hands of a child.
KEDM staff and volunteers will deliver books to the following schools:
In the Monroe City school system:
- Berg Jones Elementary
- Carver Elementary
- Clara Hall Elementary
- Jefferson Elementary
- Madison J. Foster Elementary
In the Ouachita Parish school system:
- Lenwil Elementary
- Robinson Elementary
- Shady Grove Elementary
- Swayze Elementary
In the Lincoln Parish school system:
- Hillcrest Elementary
- Lincoln Preparatory School
In the Union Parish school system:
- Union Parish Elementary
- Family speaks out after racial attack at Monroe gas station
- 3 men charged with killing boy, 11, in Mississippi apartment
- Hundreds of George Floyd protesters come out in Arkansas
- Cristobal to bring heavy rain, strong winds to Louisiana
- Police: Man who fell from interstate bridge was found dead