NEW ORLEANS, La. (AP) — Two environmental groups have sued the Trump administration, saying it has failed to protect two species of turtles found in Mississippi and Louisiana under the Endangered Species Act.
The Center for Biological Diversity and New Orleans-based Healthy Gulf want endangered or threatened status for the Pearl River map turtle and the Pascagoula map turtle.
The International Union for the Conservation of Nature says both are endangered.
The U.S. Justice Department says it’s reviewing the suit.
Map turtles are also called sawbacks because their shells have a central ridge that sometimes develops saw-like points.
- Morning Forecast – Tuesday, February 25th
- Fish & Game Forecast – Tuesday, February 25th
- Congressional candidate suspends his campaign after suffering drug overdose
- Five hikers rescued after trek to ‘Into the Wild’ bus
- Gunman kills one, then wounded by officer in community center shooting