UPDATE: The following update is being provided based on Ouachita Correctional Center’s booking records for Christopher James. On December 1, 2017, officers with the Monroe Police Department responded to the Parkview Apartment Complex in reference to an unresponsive child.

An 18-month-old child later identified as Kaliyah Buie was later pronounced dead at an area hospital. An autopsy of the child indicated that the cause of death was multiple blunt force injuries. The arrest report states that on the day of the child’s death, it was very clear to officers and emergency room staff that this child had bruising on various parts of her body.

Christopher James Courtesy of Ouachita Correctional Center

It was also evident the child had a shoe impression to her torso. On the day of her death, Buie was in the care of her father, Christopher James. James did admit to police that he found his daughter unresponsive on the morning of December 1, 2017.

According to the arrest report, after finding the child unresponsive in his bed, James removed the child from his bed, bathed the child, changed her diaper, placed the child back into his bed, and left his child for someone else to find her unresponsive.

James admitted that the child was not breathing while he bathed, he and placed her back into bed. James then left the residence.

On October 26, 2021, Detective Schmitz with the Monroe Police Department spoke with James regarding his prior statement. James admitted that he had custody of the child on the day of her death and the days prior to her death (approximately 3 days). He denied seeing any bruising or signs of abuse on his daughter’s body before her death.

James said he “panicked”, which is why he bathed her after she was found to be unresponsive.

During questioning, James began to say he suffered from memory loss and did not remember what happened.

Over the course of this investigation, several people have identified the child’s father, Christopher James as the person responsible for the care, custody, and control of this child. He failed to provide any medical attention to his daughter on the morning of December 1, 2017 and altered the crime scene by removing the child from the crime scene, bathing her, and then placing her back in bed.

Christopher James has been arrested for Second Degree Murder for the death of his daughter, obstruction of justice, and failing to provide medical care.

UPDATE: Monroe Police have arrested Christopher James, on Tuesday, for failure to seek assistance and obstruction of justice.

MONROE, La. (KTVE/KARD) — Monroe Police tell NBC 10 an arrest has been made in a cold case that dates back to 2017. It took place at the Parkview Apartment Complex on Richwood Road 2. A one-year-old’s body was found in the complex and police believe foul play was involved.

NBC 10’s Christina Jensen spoke to the mother a few weeks ago about her daughter’s suspicious death, this was before an arrest had even been made. 

“If anybody lost their child without nothing, without any closure. I know how you all feeling said Kassandra Buie, mother of Kaliyah Buie.

Just two weeks ago, Kassandra Buie was pleading to KTVE NBC 10’s camera for closure. Now she may soon have that closure. Monroe PD made an arrest in this case dating back to 2017.

“I’m still traumatized, I’m still hurting. I blame myself, I feel like if I never let my cousin take her she would still be here to this day,” said Buie.

Kaliyah Buie was only a small baby when she was found dead at the Parkview apartment complex back in 2017. Kassandra said the one-year-old was staying with the family of her father at the time of her death. She said she dropped off her baby there on wednesday and on friday she heard the tragic news.

“When I walked in the house it was like a whole crowd of people in there. She was laid out in the couch. The ambulance was trying to bring her back, but she was already gone,” said Buie.  

Kassandra said she received very little details from Kaliyah’s father, Christopher James about the incident. she also says James’ mother was quite silent too.

“The grandmother says she was cleaning up or something and someone told her to go check on the baby in the room, but she was there and she wasn’t moving,” said Buie.

Kassandra said an autopsy later revealed that her one year old daughter was beaten to death. She also suffered several injuries, including a broken  jaw. At least one person of interest was named shortly after the incident back in 2017. However, no one was arrested, now four years later an arrest has been made. A case — once cold — now may finally get closure.

Monroe PD didn’t release the suspect’s name, but told NBC 10 an arrest was made as of Tuesday. Once we learn more we will update this article with new details.