GENEVA (AP) — Breakdancing has been confirmed as an official Olympic sport.
The International Olympic Committee’s pursuit of urban events to lure a younger audience saw street dance battles officially added to the medal events program at the 2024 Paris Games.
The IOC executive board also confirmed skateboarding, sport climbing and surfing for Paris. Those three sports will make their Olympic debuts at the Tokyo Games which were postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The Tokyo opening ceremony is July 23, 2021.
Paris organizers need time to prepare and so the IOC kept its schedule to confirm the 2024 sports this month.
- Third stimulus checks: Key vote coming that will impact $1,400 payments
- West Monroe woman accused of molestation of a juvenile
- High school juniors and seniors can take ACT exam for free with waiver
- Buying a car? Pandemic drives prices up, steers buyers away
- Man released early from prison accused of killing 3, including cutting neighbor’s heart out