Baton Rouge, La. (11/19/19)— Three LSU AgCenter researchers have been recognized for their excellence in agricultural research.
Marlene Janes, Achyut Adhikari, and Wennie Xu received the National Excellence In Multi-state Research Award.
Janes is a food microbiologist, while Adhikari and Xu are food safety specialists in the AgCenter School Of Nutrition And Food Sciences.
All three are key members of a multidisciplinary team of researchers and extension educators from 39 institutions across the United States whose work focuses on enhancing microbial food safety using risk analysis.
Janes’ specialty is in the control or elimination of foodborne pathogens on the surfaces of meats, poultry, fruits, and vegetables by using both chemical and natural antimicrobial compounds.
Adhikari’s work focuses on evaluating on-farm food safety risks associated with fresh produce and developing strategies to prevent microbial contamination during production and processing.
Xu’s work uses reality based research methods to improve microbial safety of fresh produce with the goal of reducing foodborne illnesses.
- Dominant UTSA pitching limits Grambling in Friday night defeat
- Redbirds Jump on Top Early, Down Warhawks, 6-3
- Roundball Roundup: Boys first round playoff edition, plus all area scores
- Fincher strikes out 10 in Louisiana Tech’s home opener at Ruston High School, Dogs win 5-1
- Parents concerned over potential NELA school district merger