BATON ROUGE, La. (WVLA/WGMB) — (10/31/19) Electronic cigarette use – commonly referred to as vaping – among Louisiana youth is on the rise, according to a recent study from the 2019 Louisiana Youth Tobacco Survey.
Since 2015, use of e-cigarettes has more than tripled among middle school and high school students. The overwhelming reason students reported using e-cigarettes was due to curiosity. This was followed by participating in a social activity and believing that vaping is safer than smoking traditional cigarettes.
Approximately one in three middle school students and half of high school students polled said they obtained e-cigarettes from friends. The most popular brand among youth was JUUL, however most middle school students did not know the brand of e-cigarette they had ever used.
The most reported reason students used e-cigarettes among both middle school and high school students was that friends or family members used them.
- Trump returns to a business empire ravaged by pandemic
- OPPJ hires new Director of Green Oaks Detention Center in Monroe
- New Orleans woman imprisoned at 19 is stunned, elated by pardon from Trump
- Border wall construction goes on in spite of Biden mandate to stop it
- Mississippi teacher pay bill clears 1 step, goes to House