ALEXANDRIA, La. (AP) — A Mexican man who pleaded guilty to a prison murder in Louisiana has appealed his 29-year sentence.
Online court records show the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has received the notice of appeal for 36-year-old David Cortez, nicknamed “Grim.”
He pleaded guilty in March to stabbing another inmate to death and was sentenced Sept. 24.
A news release says that sentence will begin after Cortez completes a sentence for drug trafficking.
Court documents show Cortez and another inmate admitted to stabbing a new inmate 19 times the day that man arrived in 2014 at the federal prison in Pollock.
Jesus Sanchez also pleaded guilty but has not been sentenced.
- Senate to confirm Barrett for Supreme Court in highly partisan vote
- Typhoon Molave displaces thousands, floods villages in the Philippines
- Atlanta rapper Silento charged with driving 143 mph on I-85
- Newgarden wins IndyCar finale but can’t deny Dixon sixth title
- Fish & Game Forecast – Monday, October 26th