DALLAS (KETK) – A Dallas woman and her boyfriend are facing charges after police found her 6-year-old grandson tied up in a shed.
After receiving a tip Sunday night, police arrived at the home to perform a welfare check.
The child’s grandmother, 53-year-old Esmeralda Lira, told them the child was with his mother, but a man living in the back of the property pointed them to the shed.
Officers found the boy with his hands tied behind his back. Lira claimed that it was the first time they put him in the shed but her live-in boyfriend, 64-year-old Jose Balderas, said the boy was being punished for two weeks for stealing food.
The child told police he had been forced to sleep in the shed, and the alleged abuse started around the time he “got out of school for this corona thing.”
Lira and Balderas both face felony charges for endangering a child.
The boy, his seven-year-old sister, and four-year-old brother have all been removed from the house.
- Deep South falls behind in COVID vaccine drive
- Global death toll from COVID-19 tops 2 million
- Louisiana bar owner successfully fights back against ATC for suspending license during pandemic
- Trump to leave Washington on morning of Biden’s inauguration
- The Latest: ‘We’ve really lost our innocence,’ says Pelosi