KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) – (12/23/19) The U.S. military says an American service member has been killed in action in Afghanistan.
The statement didn’t provide further details, identify the soldier or say where in Afghanistan the service member was killed. However, the Taliban said they were behind a roadside bombing in northern Kunduz province that killed the American soldier.
Last month, two U.S. service members were killed in Afghanistan when their helicopter crashed in eastern Logar province. The Taliban also claimed responsibility for that crash, a claim the U.S military dismissed as false.
Monday’s death brings the number of U.S. soldiers’deaths in Afghanistan this year to 20. There have also been three non-combat deaths this year.
- PHOTOS: El Dorado Christmas Parade brings holiday cheer
- ‘I came out with no shoes on walking on ice,’ Help a 100-year-old woman rebuild after her home was destroyed by fire
- Republicans push back on 2020 election results, despite warning of backlash in GA runoff election turnout
- Donate a toy to the annual “Stuff the Bus” event for kids in Northeast Louisiana
- Helping the elderly during a pandemic; What services are provided through United Way’s 2-1-1