WILLBARGER CO. (KFDX/KJTL) — The pause in his burglary work may have refreshed the thief, but the soda he drank also sends him to prison for five years.
Patrick Cole Mitchell, 35, of Vernon, was sentenced by 46th District Judge Dan Mike Bird after he pleaded guilty.
The case of the burglar’s soda can was opened in 2018 when a burglary was reported at a Foard County Ranch.
A deputy noticed an open soda can left out on a counter, and swabbed it for DNA.
The DNA was placed in a data-base, and for weeks it appeared the case had fizzled out.
Then a match came back to Mitchell, who by this time was in a cooler in Mississippi on another charge.
District Attorney Staley Heatly was bubbling with praise for Deputy Perry Shaw who noticed the soda can and wondered if it had been opened by the burglar.
- Morning Forecast – Tuesday, March 2nd
- Angelina Jolie sells artwork by Winston Churchill for record-setting $11.5M
- Trump, former first lady quietly received Covid vaccine in January
- KTVE/KARD’s own Mya Hudgins and Hunter Elyse to read to elementary children in honor of Read Across America Day
- KTVE/KARD’s own Jarod Floyd to be keynote speaker at The Ambassador’s Club meeting