(CNN) – (12/3/19) An apple that could last up to a year in a refrigerator is starting to hit grocery store shelves across the US.
It took researchers and farmers two decades to make the cosmic crisp apple.
It’s a mixture of enterprise and Honeycrisp apples.
Cosmic crisp was developed at Washington state university.
The apple got its name from the little bright spots that resemble stars in the sky.
The acidity of the cosmic crisp supposedly prevents it from turning brown as quickly as other apples.
Only 450 thousand boxes are available this year.
But in 2020, there should be more than two million boxes.
- ULM football to play Texas in 2022
- Warhawk women limited offensively by UALR in the second half, in Thursday’s loss
- Techsters make a season high in three-pointers, defeat Middle Tennessee at home
- Mo buckets, Mo problems: Bulldogs’ Muhammed scores career high 22 in win at Middle Tennessee
- Richard Sherman’s journey from released by Seahawks to Super Bowl-bound with 49ers