WASHINGTON (AP) -Democratic Rep. Tim Ryan of Ohio says two U.S. Capitol Police officers have been suspended as a result of their actions during last week’s attack on the Capitol.
Ryan told reporters on Monday that one of the officers took a selfie with someone and the second officer put on a “Make America Great Again” hat. He says of the latter that the “interim chief determined that to be qualifying for immediate suspension.”
Thousands of pro-Donald Trump insurrectionists stormed the Capitol, forcing lawmakers to flee and hide. Five people died, including a Capitol Police officer.
The congressman says Capitol Police are looking at everybody involved that could have potentially facilitated the incursion “at a big level or small level in any way.”
Ryan says they don’t want an officer working on President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration “who was not doing the job on the Jan. 6th event.”
Capitol Police did not immediately reply to a request for more details.
Ryan serves as chair of a House subcommittee that oversees funding for Capitol Police.
- President-elect Biden announces picks for science team as security tightens ahead of inauguration
- LSU Goes For Hoops Win Vs. South Carolina Saturday Night
- Brookshire’s Grocery Co. launches waitlist for COVID-19 vaccines
- LDH confirms first COVID-19 variant in Louisiana
- Program aims to make Louisiana high schools ‘more relevant’