(AP) — Officials say an inmate has been found dead with stab wounds at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman.
Thirty-four-year-old Bobby Deangelo Hawthorne was found Sunday afternoon.
The Mississippi Department of Corrections is investigating the apparent killing.
Hawthorne was serving an 18-year sentence for four convictions for drug trafficking and armed robbery in Harrison County.
Sunflower County Coroner Heather Burton ruled Hawthorne’s death a homicide shortly after he was pronounced dead at the prison.
Hawthorne is one of more than 80 inmates to die in Mississippi’s prison system since late December.
- Morning Forecast – Monday, November 30th
- Moderna submits vaccine for approval today, says trial showed 100 percent effective at preventing ‘severe’ cases
- Record-setting 2020 Atlantic hurricane season comes to an end
- Beware of Covid-19 scams as vaccine approaches FDA approval
- Supreme Court set to hear arguments on Trump plan to exclude undocumented immigrants from census