JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – A Mississippi police officer has been placed on administrative leave after a video surfaced on social media of him in a physical confrontation with a man.
In the video, the officer has his hands around the neck of a shirtless man as he is being pushed up against his car.
The incident took place in Jackson, Mississippi around 4:30 p.m. Friday.
According to Chief James Davis, internal affairs has launched an investigation into the matter.
Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba released the following statement:
“After being made aware of a video that has surfaced of a Jackson police officer in confrontation with an individual, the officer involved has been placed under administrative leave pending the outcome of an internal affairs investigation. This administration is clear that we are trying to build an approach to public safety that is about trust, collaboration, and intergrity. Any actions that do not reflect those principles have no place in the City of Jackson.”
- Feds: Relax protections for woodpecker endangered since 1970
- Company to pay $60M for deceptive marketing with pelvic mesh
- Matt Flynn talks LSU vs Mike Leach, Miss St
- Mississippi receives $23M in federal funds for flood relief
- Louisiana deputy shoots, kills man in gunfire exchange