JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — An inmate who was serving a life sentence for kidnap and rape convictions has died in the hospital of the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman.
The Mississippi Department of Corrections said Monday that 50-year-old Kevin Keith Russell died Sunday after being hospitalized for several days.
The department said Russell had a terminal illness, but it did not specify what that was. An autopsy will be done.
Russell was convicted in Harrison County on charges that stem from a 1998 attack. He was sentenced as a habitual offender on Sept. 1, 2000.
At least 72 inmates have died in Mississippi prisons since late December.
- Vigil held Saturday in Abbeville for man shot and killed by police during exchange of gunfire
- Weekend Forecast: Sunday, March 7th, 2021
- Senate Democrats and Republicans still split day after COVID-19 Relief Deal vote
- COVID toes: Mysterious rash can affect feet in patients with coronavirus
- Louisiana Republican Senators vote NO on COVID-19 relief bill that includes $1,400 checks