JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — An inmate who was serving a life sentence for kidnap and rape convictions has died in the hospital of the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman.
The Mississippi Department of Corrections said Monday that 50-year-old Kevin Keith Russell died Sunday after being hospitalized for several days.
The department said Russell had a terminal illness, but it did not specify what that was. An autopsy will be done.
Russell was convicted in Harrison County on charges that stem from a 1998 attack. He was sentenced as a habitual offender on Sept. 1, 2000.
At least 72 inmates have died in Mississippi prisons since late December.
- Man arrested in Kannapolis accused of collecting weapons, threatening to kill Presidential Candidate Joe Biden
- Debate quiz: Who said it? Biden or Trump?
- Football ‘Thursday’ Night: Cedar Creek-OCS renew rivalry; Neville opens district with Franklin Parish, plus more!
- Week 7 best bets: Ride with Saints, Bucs to win
- Why Coach O chose TJ Finley as LSU’s starting QB vs Gamecocks