JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A commission working on a new Mississippi flag has narrowed the choices to two designs. One has a shield. The other has a magnolia blossom on a dark blue background.
Commissioners made the decision after five proposals were literally run up a flagpole Tuesday. They wanted to see how the designs look fluttering in the wind — or hanging limply. And, they said the flags look different on a pole than they do as drawings on a page.
In late June, Mississippi legislators voted to retire the last state flag to include the Confederate battle emblem, which is broadly condemned as racist.
- Venomous spiders prompt temporary library shutdown
- ‘His face was in your windshield’: South Dakota AG faces impeachment charges as new details of fatal crash emerge
- Illinois becomes first state to end cash bail as part of criminal justice reform law
- LSU bats batter ULL late, 11-2
- ULM Opening Day against the Demons of Northwestern State University