JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — The Mississippi attorney general says the state Supreme Court should dismiss a mayor’s lawsuit over a medical marijuana initiative.
Private attorneys for the sponsors of Initiative 65 agree. They say the mayor of Madison is misreading the process for getting a proposal on the ballot.
A majority of voters approved Initiative 65 last week. The state Health Department is supposed to create a medical marijuana program by the middle of next year.
Mayor Mary Hawkins Butler is an opponent of medical marijuana. She filed suit days before the election, arguing that sponsors of Initiative 65 failed to follow the correct procedure for gathering signatures.
- Police: Thief berated mom and threatened to call police for leaving kid in car he stole
- Concerns grow over Eurostar rail service linking UK, EU
- Tokyo Olympics Q&A: 6 months out and murmurs of cancellation
- Biden, Harris to speak from Lincoln Memorial about lives lost to Covid-19
- Morning Forecast – Tuesday, January 19th