JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A private university in Mississippi is preparing to award a second scholarship to an incoming freshman who will major in creative writing.
The Angie Thomas Writers Scholarship will cover tuition, room and board at Belhaven University in Jackson.
The program might also provide smaller scholarships to other students. Belhaven established the scholarship to honor Thomas, who earned her degree there in 2011.
She wrote the bestselling novels “The Hate U Give” and “On the Come Up.” Her new novel, “Concrete Rose,” is being published this month.
Scholarship applications are due March 15 and the winner will be selected April 15.
- President-elect Biden announces picks for science team as security tightens ahead of inauguration
- LSU Goes For Hoops Win Vs. South Carolina Saturday Night
- Brookshire’s Grocery Co. launches waitlist for COVID-19 vaccines
- LDH confirms first COVID-19 variant in Louisiana
- Program aims to make Louisiana high schools ‘more relevant’