JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A private university in Mississippi is preparing to award a second scholarship to an incoming freshman who will major in creative writing.
The Angie Thomas Writers Scholarship will cover tuition, room and board at Belhaven University in Jackson.
The program might also provide smaller scholarships to other students. Belhaven established the scholarship to honor Thomas, who earned her degree there in 2011.
She wrote the bestselling novels “The Hate U Give” and “On the Come Up.” Her new novel, “Concrete Rose,” is being published this month.
Scholarship applications are due March 15 and the winner will be selected April 15.
- Jualea Hayes hosts “Unity Jam Session” to show unification in Monroe and surrounding cities | Friday Ellis attended
- Good Samaritan returns lost dinosaur stuffed animal to Louisiana boy
- LSU fraternity pays off former cook’s mortgage
- Zydeco legend Leo ‘The Bull’ Thomas dead at 84
- NPSO: Investigation lands fired deputy behind bars on felony theft charges