JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — One inmate has died at Central Mississippi Correctional Facility and another from that prison died in a Jackson hospital.
The state Department of Corrections says 61-year-old Frank Mackabee was pronounced dead Tuesday at Merit Health Central, where he had been since Sept. 29.
And, 55-year-old Darrell Weathersby was found unresponsive Tuesday at the prison. Autopsies will be done.
Mackabee was serving a life sentence for a 1991 murder conviction in Covington County, and he had other previous convictions.
Weathersby was convicted of felony DUI in Carroll County.
He received a five-year sentence in April. At least 87 inmates have died in Mississippi prisons since late December.
- Couple that tested positive for Covid arrested after boarding flight
- Fish & Game Forecast – Thursday, December 3rd
- Six charged in ‘birth tourism’ scheme that cost U.S. taxpayers millions
- Rafer Johnson, 1960 Olympic decathlon champion, dies at 86
- Suspect in two-state Thanksgiving rampage that left one dead, five injured, is charged with murder