ABBEVILLE, La. (KLFY) – A homeowner on La. 35 South in Vermilion Parish shot and killed an alleged burglar in the early morning hours Thursday.
Vermilion Parish Sheriff’s Public Information Officer Cpt. Drew David said 911 received a call at around 2:15 a.m. The homeowner, who has not been publicly identified, confirmed that he had shot a person who had broken into his residence.
The body of Landon Blake Hebert, 30, was found at the scene. The homeowner was questioned. No charges have been filed. The investigation is ongoing, according to David, and the case will be forwarded to the district attorney’s office.
Louisiana has so-called “castle” and “stand-your-ground” laws that can allow a property owner to defend themselves or their property with deadly force. Louisiana RS 14:20, Section C states “A person who is not engaged in unlawful activity and who is in place where he or she has a right to be shall have no duty to retreat before using deadly force…”
- Reports: Trump intends to announce withdrawal of 4,000 troops from Afghanistan
- ICYMI: Lafayette Mayor-President elect Josh Guillory says he wants better leadership at LPD
- Vermilionville offers sensory friendly visits for those with sensory processing differences
- ICYMI: Two suspects in NOLA shooting over Bayou Classic weekend, arrested in St. Mary Parish
- Anonymous donations pay off $70K in layaway purchases