RICHLAND PARISH, La. — An 18-year-old Richland Parish student has been arrested after he brought a gun to school.
According to the Richland Parish Sheriff’s Office, a School Resource Officer assigned to Delhi Charter School received a tip that 18-year-old Jeffery Williams Jr. would be coming to school on Tuesday, November 5, armed.
The officer and a school official met with Williams that morning and during a search, a loaded firearm was found in Williams’ backpack.
Williams told officials that he had the gun for protection.
Officials state that students and faculty were not in danger at any point.
Williams has been charged with Illegal Carrying of a Firearm by a Student on School Property, a felony charge that carries a penalty of up to 5 years in prison.
- BOIL ADVISORY: A Partial boil advisory has been issued for the Manifest Rhinehart Water System
- Monroe Council approves Doug Harvey appointment to District 1 seat
- Opelousas man killed in early morning house fire
- Vermilion Parish man arrested for stabbing his mother, himself
- Morning Forecast – Wednesday, January 29th