NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The Army Corps of Engineers says planned levee and floodwall projects in seven states include 101 where levees are an average of 2 feet too low.
A news release Tuesday said the agency will hold online public meetings Sept. 30 and Oct. 1 about its environmental impact statement for all 143 projects from Cape Girardeau, Missouri, to southeast Louisiana.
Work also is planned in Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas and Mississippi. Levee work includes projects to reduce seepage or the chance that part of the dirt embankment will slide off.
The Corps says 22 floodwalls are too low or need stabilizing.
- Morning Forecast – Friday, March 5th
- Powerful earthquakes force thousands to evacuate in New Zealand; tsunami threat passes with little damage
- Quake-ravaged part of Croatia sees gaping sinkholes emerge
- Ali, Frazier and the Fight of the Century 50 years later
- Evacuation request ignored at Guatemala’s Pacaya volcano