OUACHITA PARISH, La (KTVE/KARD) — The Ouachita Parish Fire Department responded to a house fire on November 21st at 4:05 pm on Garden Park drive in Monroe.
Firefighters arrived on scene at 4:08 pm and left the scene around 5:37 pm.
Ouachita Parish Fire Officials says the fire started in the kitchen and was ruled a cooking fire.
“I’m just still in emotional shock that it happened,” said Lena Dunn, House Resident.
Here’s how the night of November 21st played out.
“Got a call from my landlord saying that the house was up in flames, so immediately I was like up in flames? I said are you sure. So my next-door neighbor called me not even two seconds after and he called and said Ms. Lela, your home is up in flames…I’m like, it’s gotta be true,” said Dunn.
That’s when Dunn called her daughter and the two met up at the house when the fire department was putting out the blaze.
“Everything that’s towards the kitchen was destroyed, it’s not even salvageable. There’s the table sitting right there,” said Dunn.
While the fire did destroy many of Dunn’s possessions including this dining room table right here, she tells us that there were three picture frames that have no damage to them and she says they were her angels watching over the house.
“I got a picture of my mom and my brother and they’re both deceased and it didn’t even touch their pictures. And I also had a picture of his son, but it was like the obituary picture and it didn’t even touch that. They were my angels right there,” said Dunn.
With angels watching over her, Dunn says it still hurts to see her home, gone.
“To get a call saying that your home is on fire within what 5 or 6 days to Thanksgiving, it’s a tragedy,” said Dunn.
And her hope for others?
“If you know you’re in there cooking, make sure you double-check before you leave home, that you don’t leave it on, cause something like that can happen in a split second,” said Dunn.
If you would like to help the Dunn family in any way, you can find her on Facebook, here.