EDWARDS, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi police officer has died of coronavirus. WJTV reports Sgt. Kelvin Mixon was on the police force in Edwards for more than 20 years. He is one of three officers in Edwards to test positive for the virus so far. Police Chief Terence Crump told WJTV the virus is “real” and “it cut (Mixon’s) life short and ended his career too soon.” Mayor Marcus Wallace said Mixon was a “community policeman” who watched over the town with care. Edwards is a small town of around 1,000 people. A wreath is now resting in front of the police station in Mixon’s honor.
- US Olympic skateboarding team unveiled, rolling toward Tokyo
- Audit: More than $117M in improper unemployment payments were distributed in Mississippi
- Buc-ee’s to build world’s largest convenience store in Tennessee
- Background checks blocked a record high 300,000 gun sales in 2020
- Tennessee boy’s legs nearly severed in Missouri roller coaster accident