The theme of 2018’s Arson Awareness Week is Reducing Arson at Vacant and Abandoned Buildings.
But do you know the difference between the two?
Vacant buildings are classified as:
- Unoccupied buildings
- Owner is interested in the property and easily contacted
- Property has current taxes
Abandoned buildings are classified as:
- Buildings that are not legally occupied
- The owner/landlord is absent or unreachable
- The taxes are not paid for the property
Remember, report any suspicious activity to your local law enforcement.
And don’t forget about the State Fire Marshal’s Arson Hotline where suspicious fire and/or explosion-related activity can be reported anonymously.
Tips can be called in to 1-866-946-1097 or submitted online at https://sfm.dps.louisiana.gov/