UPDATE (7:00)– State Police say their biggest concern is that our general public isn’t used to this kind of weather. Law enforcement says if you don’t have to be somewhere, it’s best to stay home. However, if you have to get behind the wheel–here are some tips you should follow:
- You should drive slower than normal
- If there is an overpass or street that is barricaded, do not go around it
- Always wear your seatbelt
- Be aware that on and off-ramps could be slick.
“Black Ice is a patch of ice that you may not see. We have asphalt and concrete roads so you might not see the patch of ice. You’re driving along and your car starts skidding. If your car does start to skid, stir into that skid, take your foot off the gas, and don’t hit the accelerator or the break. It will make it worse. Just come to a controlled stopped. After your car stops skidding, then you can push the brake pedal and come to a controlled stop. That’s the biggest thing,” said Master Trooper Michael Reichardt, PIO State Police, Troop F.
Trooper Reichardt says DOTD is prepared to close certain bridges down tonight. You should keep this in mind if you plan on traveling this evening or into the early hours Monday morning. Those bridges include:
- Lee Joyner expressway
- The fly away at Pecanland Mall
- 546 overpass
- Possibly other major overpasses as well
There will be some way to get across the river. Obviously, DOTD is prepared. So the interstate will be open tomorrow unless something major happens,” said Trooper Reichardt.
Officials with the Monroe Police are urging residents to stay at home and minimize travel in the event of inclement weather.
Authorities say winter driving conditions involving rain, snow, and ice can impede braking and vehicle control, especially while making turns.
If it is an emergency and you have to travel, please drive slowly and increase following distance. Avoid bridges and overpasses.
Make sure to plan your route and check your local news for weather updates.
- Hot Pockets recalled because they may contain pieces of plastic, glass
- Trump to leave Washington on morning of Biden’s inauguration
- HHS Secretary Azar ‘still serving the American people’ as he submits resignation effective Jan. 20
- Practice Report: Three Saints Questionable for Divisional Round
- #5 LSU Gymnastics tops #6 Arkansas in SEC Opener