Governor Asa Hutchinson has laid out his full list of priorities for the upcoming 2017 legislative session.
In a news conference Tuesday morning at the State Capitol, Gov. Hutchinson announced initiatives he placed into one of three categories: Economic Development, Education, and Efficiencies and Government Transformation.
“This comprehensive list represents my agenda for the 2017 legislative session. Each initiative is in line with my administration’s three-pronged approach to thoughtful and conservative governing. We must drive economic development, further educational opportunities—including an emphasis on computer science—and identify better ways to serve Arkansans through meaningful reforms and efficiencies. These are the parameters that shape my priorities as Governor, and I look forward to working with the legislature to make each one a reality.”
The priorities are as follows:
· Retired Military Tax Cut
· Accelerator Program
· $50.5 Million Income Tax Cut
· ArFuture Grant
· New Higher Education Productivity Funding Formula
· Computer Science Part 2
· Teacher Opportunity Program Redirect (TOPs)
· $3 million in Quality Pre-K Funding
· Reading Initiative
Efficiencies and Government Transformation:
· Reform of the State Pay Plan
· Ongoing Improvements to Address Foster Care
· Repurposing Tobacco Settlement Funds to Decrease the Disability Waitlist
· Consolidation of Select Boards and Commissions
· Agency Reorganization and Efficiencies (Energy to AEDC; OHIT to ADH; War Memorial to Parks and Tourism)
· Waste Tire Management Program
· Establishing Regional Mental Health Crisis Stabilization Centers
· In addition to the above-mentioned initiatives, Governor Hutchinson has been a long-time supporter of separating the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Robert E. Lee holiday. This will once again be a priority for the Governor in the 2017 session.
Click here for more information on each initiative.