Carla Dykes says it’s still hard to imagine what to do after flames engulfed her family home Friday evening.
“We got to start completely over, furniture, kitchen, you know everything just got to start completely over,” she stated.
Dykes was making dinner for her three children: Sariyah Crockerham, 9, DeMarcus Dykes, 7, and Harmony Dykes, 6,when the unthinkable occurred.
“We were under the carport and we just saw the smoke coming out of the kitchen. So I went back in thinking that I could just move the skillet of the stove, but the entire kitchen was on fire by that time,” Dykes recollected.
Ashes and broken kitchen items are all that remain where Dykes kitchen used to be. She tells NBC 10 that it was a skillet that she stepped away from, and in an instant her worse nightmare became her reality.
School is back in session on Monday and Dykes says she’s unsure if her children will be ready when the first school bell rings.
“[I’m just] trying to get their things together so they can start school with everybody else and not feel like a whole lot done changed.”
Harmony begins grade school in just a few days and her biggest concern is nap time. Her mother chuckled as she said, “She said she trying to get used to not being able to take a nap.”
Dykes on the other hand has bigger concerns and she warns all homeowners to double check everything because you never know what can happen.
“Always check even if you think you’re 100% sure, you know check and make sure because you we could have been in there,” Dykes asserts.
American Red Cross shares these fire safety tips:
1. Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
2. Test smoke alarms every month. If they’re not working, change the batteries.
3. Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.
4. If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL FOR HELP. Never go back inside for anything or anyone.
Anyone willing to help the Dykes family can donate to their GoFundMe page here.