(4/10/19) Officials believe that a welding torch may be to blame for sending a 60-foot shrimp boat up in flames in Gautier, Mississippi.
The owner was welding the bottom of the boat when he heard a loud pop inside. The fire became too big for him to put out on his own. Firefighters even needed a few hours to put the blaze out.
The way the boat was built is one of the reasons why the fire grew so large.
“You got multiple layers. Fuel tanks, propane tanks, there’s just so many things that it’s tough,” said Stacy Hutchens, owner of Patilo’s Marina.
Gautier Fire Deputy Chief Derek McCoy said, “They’re not easy to access and more importantly they’re not easy to get out of once you get in them and that’s when the safety of our firefighters comes in.”
The shrimp boat had 700 gallons of fuel aboard and some of it leaked into the bayou.
The United States Coast Guard was on hand to help with the clean up.