RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro’s communications director tested positive for the new coronavirus, just days after traveling with Bolsonaro to a meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump in Florida.
A statement from the president’s communications office on Thursday said director Fábio Wajngarten’s test results have come back positive, and that the presidency is adopting preventive measures to ensure Bolsonaro’s health.
Wajngarten joined Bolsonaro on a three-day trip to the U.S. and on Saturday was at the Mar-a-Lago resort, where he posted a photo of himself posing beside Trump. A video from the event also showed him standing directly behind both presidents as they addressed a crowd.
Wajngarten initially denied a report on Wednesday that he had been tested for the virus, saying on his social media account that his health was fine. He is now in self-quarantine at home, according to the statement.
The government also communicated with U.S. authorities so that they can take cautionary measures, the Brazilian statement said.
- Week 7 best bets: Ride with Saints, Bucs to win
- Why Coach O chose TJ Finley as LSU’s starting QB vs Gamecocks
- Man arrested in North Carolina in May accused of threatening to kill Joe Biden
- Refurbished Monroe Fire station #5 estimated to open in December
- Acadiana aging expert warns families to be involved in caregiving for elderly after recent arrests