Mount Vernon, Arkansas (NBC) (05/29/20)— A 9-year-old boy who disappeared Thursday while checking the mail at his Arkansas home was later found dead from an apparent dog attack, authorities said.
The boy’s body was found in a field near the family’s home in the small town of Mount Vernon, north of Little Rock, the Faulkner County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.
The boy’s mother went to look for him when he didn’t return after a few minutes on Thursday morning, the statement said.
She called 911 and responding investigators found his body.
The statement said the mother had seen several dogs running from the field.
Two people were being questioned in connection to the boy’s death, and two dogs were taken by a local animal shelter, the statement said.
Additional details about the incident weren’t immediately available.
- Stimulus check update: Report says White House eyeing $1 trillion package
- Hiring soared in May as mass layoffs eased
- Newsfeed Now: Woman gives birth on pontoon boat; Arkansas girl becomes hero
- WATCH: Louisiana woman gets arrested after threatening family with bat & gun
- Four Angola Prison correctional officers sentenced for beating handcuffed, shackled inmate