NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Authorities said a Louisiana man was arrested a week after a 4-year-old girl found his gun and accidentally shot herself.
The Times-Picayune / The New Orleans Advocate reported 22-year-old Clifton Harris Jr. was charged Monday with cruelty to a juvenile.
The Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office said Harris and a woman were asleep on Aug. 24 when they heard a boom and found the girl holding Harris’ gun.
Authorities said the child’s wounds weren’t life-threatening. It’s unclear whether the child is related to Harris. The Sheriff’s Office said Harris hid the gun inside a refrigerator when deputies arrived.
It’s unclear whether Harris had an attorney.
- President Joe Biden releases statement on authorization of COVID-19 vaccine
- ‘I felt terrified;’ Greenville man recounts incident that resulted in deputy’s firing and misconduct charges
- Shooting in Monroe Leaves one man dead
- VIDEO: TPSO asking for public’s help identifying truck that caused damage to deli
- El Dorado refinery fire UPDATE