THIBODAUX, La. (AP) — Louisiana authorities say a man who had just been told that he’d be jailed ran from a courtroom and through a first-floor window, falling into the outdoor service stairwell below it.
Lafourche Parish Sheriff Craig Webre says that 26-year-old Gerrel Talbert of Labadieville was treated for injuries from the 12-foot fall, then arrested on the earlier charges plus escape and felony damage to property.
A spokesman said Thursday that that the incident occurred after a judge told Talbert on Wednesday that he’d be jailed for contempt of court.
Lt. Brennan Matherne said he does not know whether Talbert has an attorney who could speak for him.
- Wendy’s has a new chicken sandwich, and you can get one free
- Video game developer’s new release to benefit Hurricane Laura victims
- Louisiana releases breakdown of early voting statistics from over 964,000 voters
- White House lists ‘ending the COVID-19 pandemic’ as an accomplishment
- Watch Live: Twitter, Facebook, Google CEOs testify on social media protections amid censorship claims