METAIRIE, La. (AP) — A 16-year-old has died in the custody of the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office after suffering a medical emergency during his arrest.
Sheriff Joseph Lopinto’s office said in a statement that the death occurred after a deputy responded to a call in Metairie on Sunday.
The deputy found a 53-year-old man with bite wounds to his face. The victim’s 16-year-old son was detained for the attack.
The statement says the suspect “suffered an apparent medical emergency during the arrest” and was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.
An autopsy is planned for Tuesday.
- Despite career night from Self, ULM women’s basketball unable to stop Coastal Carolina
- Bulldogs see double digit lead disappear in final minutes, drop overtime game to Western Kentucky
- Warhawks limited to 36 percent shooting in Thursday loss to UALR; Efretuei recorded a double-double in the defeat
- Roundball Roundup: Girls quarterfinal round edition, several from Louisiana and Arkansas advance
- See how residents and the parish jail are getting by as water crisis continues in Tallulah