MONROE, La. (2:50 PM) — During today’s press briefing, Mayor Jamie Mayo announced that all of the city’s community centers, the Monroe Civic Center, and the Louisiana Purchase Gardens and Zoo will close in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19.
Click on the above video for the full press briefing.
Continue reading for a full recap of Mayo’s briefing.
Today, I joined other Mayor’s from across the state, on a conference call with Governor John Bel Edwards. As municipal leaders, it is our #1 priority to slow the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. As of 9:30 am this morning, the number of reported presumptive cases in Louisiana has risen to 114. And, the number of reported deaths remains at 2.
We can’t help but stress the urgency of making sure all residents take this public health emergency serious. We need everyone to follow the CDC recommendations:
- Practice Social Distancing
- Wash your hands with soap and water multiple times per day
- Use tissue when you cough or sneeze OR use your arm
- Fist bump or elbow bump instead of shaking hands and hugging
- Disinfect surfaces regularly
- Stay at home if you are sick
Executive Order Halting Water Disconnections (Issued March 12, 2020)
To ensure our residents and business can take proper sanitation precautions, I signed an executive order halting the disconnection of water service for our customers for a 60-day period. As we work with local, state, and federal officials to educate the public about ways to minimize the spread of the Coronavirus – it is very important that we make sure Monroe residents and businesses have proper access to running water. However, I want to make it clear that all water bills and late fees will have to be paid.
UPDATED MITIGATION MEASURES
Today, Governor John Bel Edwards has announced directives for more stringent mitigation measures to be taken across the state of Louisiana. Among them are…
- Ban of gatherings of 50 people or more
- Closing of Movie Theaters
- Having Restaurants to not allow dine-in customers; but allowing pick-up/carry-out, drive-thru and delivery
Across the state of Louisiana, we are taking aggressive actions to make sure we do all that we can to minimize the spread of this disease. Out of the concern for the public safety of the residents of Monroe, today, I am announcing the following additional mitigation measures:
- Effective at the close of business today, the Monroe Civic Center will be closed until further notice
- Effective immediately, our community centers will be closed until further notice
LOUISIANA PURCHASE GARDENS & ZOO
- Effective at the close of business today, the Louisiana Purchase Gardens & Zoo will be closed until further notice
QUESTIONS ABOUT OUR WORKERS
- Workers at the Civic Center and Community Centers will be able to
- Clean and care for the facilities
- Plan for future programs and events
- Workers at the Zoo will still be able to
- Feed and care for the animals
- Clean and care for the facilities
CONCERNS ABOUT STUDENT MEALS BEING ADDRESSED
I have been in contact with Dr. Vidrine and Monroe City School Board President Betty Cooper. Thankfully, Monroe City Schools (and Ouachita Parish Schools) have set up multiple feeding sites to ensure students have access to free breakfast and lunch.
ST. FRANCIS MEDICAL CENTER
On yesterday, I talked with Saint Francis President Kristin Wolkart re: their plans to utilize the St. Francis North facility for testing. I have offered the use of the Monroe Civic Center Parking lot as a site for drive-thru testing, if necessary.
This situation is unusual, but not impossible! God has blessed us to have experts to give us best practices to follow. Officials at the federal, state, and local levels are working together to guide the public as best we can. We ask that everyone remains patient and trust that we will get through this together.
MONROE, La. (2:00 PM) — Monroe Mayor Jamie Mayo is scheduled to hold a press briefing this afternoon to give the latest updates on the City of Monroe’s response to the spread of COVID-19.
Mayor Mayo is set to speak at 2 pm at Monroe City Hall.
We will stream the press briefing live here and on our Facebook page.
- How much do tickets to Super Bowl LV in Tampa cost right now?
- NFC Matchups: Where else to start but Brady and Rodgers?
- ‘Just want to say thank you’: First lady Jill Biden delivers cookies to National Guard troops
- Tickets for the 19th Annual St. Jude Dream Home are on sale now! Get yours today!
- Schumer: Trump impeachment trial to begin week of Feb. 8