BATON ROUGE, La. (April 23, 2020) — Louisiana is reporting 481 new cases of COVID-19 and 67 new deaths according to the Louisiana Department of Health website.
This brings the total number of cases across the state to 25,739 with a total of 1,540 deaths.
LDH is still reporting 59 probable deaths. According to the website, probable COVID deaths are deaths identified by coroners and/or physicians as COVID-19 deaths or as probable/suspected/possible COVID-19 deaths without a lab positive result. This number could change if pending test results turn out positive or negative.
In Northeast Louisiana, there were 62 new cases and 5 new deaths reported. Ouachita Parish is reporting the most cases and deaths in our area with 579 cases and 16 deaths, an increase of 27 cases and 2 deaths since Wednesday’s update. Lincoln, Union, and Catahoula parishes also reported 1 new death each.
Here is a list of local parishes reporting cases and deaths:
- Ouachita Parish – 579 cases, 16 deaths (27 new cases, 2 new deaths)
- Lincoln Parish – 62 cases, 3 deaths (4 new cases, 1 new death)
- Union Parish – 89 cases, 6 deaths (4 new cases, 1 new death)
- Franklin Parish – 108 cases, 2 deaths (13 new cases)
- Concordia Parish – 27 cases, 2 deaths (no change)
- Morehouse Parish – 45 cases, 4 deaths (4 new cases)
- Caldwell Parish – 17 cases (2 new cases)
- Richland Parish – 45 cases (3 new cases)
- Winn Parish – 19 cases, 2 deaths (no change)
- Catahoula Parish – 24 cases, 2 death (1 new death)
- Jackson Parish – 21 cases (5 new cases)
- Madison Parish – 5 cases (no change)
- LaSalle Parish – 15 cases (no change)
- East Carroll Parish – 5 cases (no change)
- West Carroll Parish – 4 cases (no change)
- Tensas Parish – 1 case (no change)
Gov. John Bel Edwards held a media briefing about Louisiana’s response to COVID-19 on Thursday afternoon.
- Tracking the Tropics: Differences in development basins around the world
- Coronavirus in Arkansas: Governor Hutchinson, state leaders give update on COVID-19 response in Conway
- Edwards signs business tax breaks passed in special session
- Coronavirus in Louisiana: State reports 2,089 new cases, 14 new deaths on Wednesday
- News outlets seek to unseal files on Saints owner Tom Benson