BATON ROUGE, La. — The Louisiana Department of Health reported 2,562 new cases and 46 new deaths on Thursday, December 24, bringing the total number of cases to 296,499 and the total number of deaths to 7,272 for the state.
The number of probable cases rose by 372 to 25,322 on Thursday while the total number of confirmed cases climbed by 2,193 to a total of 271,177. The number of probable deaths also rose on Thursday by 5 to 354 and the total number of confirmed deaths rose by 44 for a total of 6,918. As stated on the LDH website, the new case increase may not match the difference between today’s and yesterday’s total cases because of the daily removal of newly identified duplicates and out of state cases.
Hospitalizations fell on Thursday by 42. An additional 3 patients were placed on ventilators. This brings the total number of hospitalized patients to 1,633 with 199 on ventilators.
The Louisiana Department of Health began reporting COVID-19 vaccinations on Tuesday, December 22. On Thursday, the LDH reported 10,658 new vaccinations. So far, 32,766 doses have been administered in total. 879 healthcare providers across the state are participating in the vaccinations. This information will be updated on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
In Northeast Louisiana, 273 new cases and 4 new deaths were reported while 1 case and 1 death were rescinded. Ouachita Parish is still reporting the most cases and deaths in our area with 12,314 total confirmed cases and 245 total confirmed deaths.
Here is a list of local parishes reporting confirmed cases and deaths:
- Ouachita Parish – 12,314 cases, 245 deaths (134 new cases, 2 new deaths)
- Lincoln Parish – 2,629 cases, 67 deaths (21 new cases)
- Franklin Parish – 1,912 cases, 76 deaths (13 new cases)
- Morehouse Parish – 1,789 cases, 42 deaths (13 new cases, 1 new death)
- Union Parish – 1,554 cases, 59 deaths (24 new cases, 1 rescinded death)
- Richland Parish – 1,451 cases, 32 deaths (19 new cases)
- Madison Parish – 1,212 cases, 16 deaths (18 new cases)
- Jackson Parish – 1,196 cases, 36 deaths (1 new case)
- Concordia Parish – 1,195 cases, 26 deaths (7 new cases)
- Winn Parish – 976 cases, 27 deaths (1 new case)
- East Carroll Parish – 805 cases, 15 deaths (1 new case)
- West Carroll Parish – 798 cases, 29 deaths (6 new cases)
- La Salle Parish – 783 cases, 16 deaths (5 new cases)
- Caldwell Parish – 683 cases, 17 deaths (2 new cases, 1 new death)
- Catahoula Parish – 678 cases, 19 deaths (8 new cases)
- Tensas Parish – 255 cases, 3 deaths (1 rescinded case)
- ‘This violence must end’: Calls for action on Capitol Hill after latest mass shooting
- White House COVID-19 Response Team announces additional funding to fight COVID-19 variants
- Group seeks to build trust in health care among vaccine-hesitant
- Paycheck Fairness Act passes in House, faces uphill battle in Senate
- Shreveport man arrested in Monroe for Carnal Knowledge of a Juvenile