BATON ROUGE, La. (April 24, 2020) — Louisiana is reporting 401 new cases of COVID-19 and 61 new deaths according to the Louisiana Department of Health website.
This brings the total number of cases across the state to 26,140 with a total of 1,601 deaths.
In Friday’s update, the LDH added a new stat that shows the number of presumed recoveries in Louisiana. They say there has been 14,927 presumed recoveries.
According to LDH, a person is presumed recovered if :
1) it has been more than 14 days, since he/she tested positive and he/she is not currently in the hospital or deceased (when hospital status is known), or
2) it has been more than 21 days, since he/she tested positive and he/she is not deceased (when hospital status is unknown).
Presumed recovered counts will be updated weekly.
LDH is still reporting 59 probable deaths. According to the website, probable COVID deaths are deaths identified by coroners and/or physicians as COVID-19 deaths or as probable/suspected/possible COVID-19 deaths without a lab positive result. This number could change if pending test results turn out positive or negative.
In Northeast Louisiana, there were 37 new cases and 2 new deaths reported. Ouachita Parish is reporting the most cases and deaths in our area with 598 cases and 16 deaths, an increase of 19 cases since Thursday’s update. Lincoln and Concordia parishes also reported 1 new death each.
Here is a list of local parishes reporting cases and death:
- Ouachita Parish – 598 cases, 16 deaths (19 new cases)
- Lincoln Parish – 64 cases, 4 deaths (2 new cases, 1 new death)
- Union Parish – 95 cases, 6 deaths (6 new cases)
- Franklin Parish – 108 cases, 2 deaths (no change)
- Concordia Parish – 28 cases, 3 deaths (1 new case, 1 new death)
- Morehouse Parish – 46 cases, 4 deaths (1 new case)
- Caldwell Parish – 17 cases (no change)
- Richland Parish – 47 cases (2 new cases)
- Winn Parish – 20 cases, 2 deaths (1 new case)
- Catahoula Parish – 25 cases, 2 death (1 new case)
- Jackson Parish – 22 cases (1 new case)
- Madison Parish – 5 cases (no change)
- LaSalle Parish – 17 cases (2 new cases)
- East Carroll Parish – 6 cases (1 new case)
- West Carroll Parish – 4 cases (no change)
- Tensas Parish – 1 case (no change)
Gov. John Bel Edwards will hold a media briefing about Louisiana’s response to COVID-19 on Friday afternoon.
Gov. Edwards will be joined by U.S. Senator Bill Cassidy.
The briefing is expected to begin at 3 PM.
You can watch the full briefing right here or on our Facebook page.
- Louisville mayor: 2 officers shot are recovering
- Governor’s Proclamation 124 suspends TOPS rules for students affected by Hurricane Laura
- Child killed, 3 others injured in Oklahoma house explosion, officials say
- Newsfeed Now: Protests across America: Battle over SCOTUS vacancy heats up
- Utility worker identified, killed in crash while helping restore power in Sally aftermath