BATON ROUGE, La. — The Louisiana Department of Health reported 442 new cases and 15 new deaths on Thursday, April 8, 2021, bringing the total number of cases to 448,104 and the total number of deaths to 10,200.
The number of probable cases rose by 139 to 66,073 on Thursday while the total number of confirmed cases rose by 310 to a total of 382,031. The number of probable deaths increased by 4 for a total of 857 and the total number of confirmed deaths rose by 11 to 9,343. As stated on the LDH website, the new case increase may not match the difference between today’s total cases and the previous update because of the daily removal of newly identified duplicates and out-of-state cases.
Hospitalizations stayed the same on Thursday and the use of ventilators went down by 2. This brings the total number of hospitalized patients to 301 with 44 on ventilators.
The Louisiana Department of Health began reporting COVID-19 vaccinations on Tuesday, December 22, 2020. On Thursday, April 8, 2021, the LDH reported 86,626 new vaccinations since Monday, April 5, 2021. Of those new vaccinations, 53,586 received their first doses while 64,175 received their second and final dose. So far, 2,152,002 doses have been administered in total. 2,214 healthcare providers across the state are participating in the vaccinations. This information will be updated on Mondays and Thursdays.
In Northeast Louisiana, 38 new cases were reported while 2 cases were rescinded. Ouachita Parish is still reporting the most cases and deaths in our area with 16,301 total confirmed cases and 402 total confirmed deaths.
Here is a list of local parishes reporting confirmed cases and deaths:
- Ouachita Parish – 16,301 cases, 402 deaths (2 new cases)
- Lincoln Parish – 3,320 cases, 84 deaths (5 new cases)
- Morehouse Parish – 2,389 cases, 69 deaths (5 new cases)
- Franklin Parish – 2,370 cases, 105 deaths (2 new cases)
- Union Parish –2,023 cases, 70 deaths (8 new cases)
- Richland Parish – 1,982 cases, 42 deaths (1 new case)
- Concordia Parish –1,578 cases, 45 deaths (2 rescinded cases)
- Madison Parish –1,518 cases, 33 deaths (1 new case)
- Jackson Parish –1,453 cases, 45 deaths (1 new case)
- Winn Parish –1,148 cases, 33 deaths (2 new cases)
- West Carroll Parish –1,094 cases, 38 deaths (2 new cases)
- La Salle Parish –929 cases, 25 deaths (7 new cases)
- East Carroll Parish –885 cases, 20 deaths (no change)
- Catahoula Parish –873 cases, 33 deaths (no change)
- Caldwell Parish – 769 cases, 24 deaths (2 new cases)
- Tensas Parish –316 cases, 6 deaths (no change)