UPDATE: Tyler Perry announced he is having a secondary autopsy conducted for his deceased nephew


UPDATE: (2/28/20) – Sources say Tyler Perry is looking further into the recent death of his nephew at the Union Parish Detention Center.

Tyler Perry shared his thoughts on Instagram Thursday explaining that he has ordered a second autopsy on his nephew following the initial results stating he died by suicide.

Call me naive, but it was my hope that after serving his time, really reflecting, showing much remorse, and asking God for forgiveness, that he would have been able to come work for me. Where he would join all the other former inmates that work for me and turn his life around, just as they have. But that day will never come.

Tyler Perry

The post went on to explain how his nephew, Gavin Porter, had shot and killed his biological father and was sentenced to 20 years in prison.

View this post on Instagram

My Nephew Gavin Porter

A post shared by Tyler Perry (@tylerperry) on

Tyler Perry explained that he has hired Dr. Michael Baden to perform a second autopsy.

Perry stated “I want to be clear that we are not a family of conspiracy theorists, and we want to believe that there was no foul play, just as the sheriff stated publicly.”

Tyler Perry's nephew recently died in prison.
Gavin Porter (REUTERS/Danny Moloshok)

The statement also explained that ordering a second autopsy is “not an unusual request.”

News outlets reported that Gavin Porter was allegedly put in solitary confinement after getting into a fight. It was there that he was found to have allegedly hung himself with a bedsheet.

According to NBC, Baden was involved in several high-profile investigations. These investigations include the deaths of President Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr.


FARMERVILLE, La. (Press Release) – The nephew of Hollywood filmmaker Tyler Perry, who was serving time in the Union Parish Detention Center at Farmerville, apparently hanged himself inside a cell Tuesday night.

Gavin Porter, 26, of Greensburg in St. Helena Parish, was found about 8:30 p.m. Tuesday after apparently hanging himself with a bedsheet in a cell where he had been placed Saturday night after a fight involving several inmates, Union Parish Sheriff Dusty Gates said. The sheriff said no foul play is suspected.

Porter was a state Department of Corrections inmate who was being held in Union Parish. Gates said Porter had pleaded guilty in April 2017 in 21st Judicial District Court at Amite in St. Helena Parish to a charge of manslaughter. He originally had been charged in October 2016 with second-degree murder, Gates said.

The sheriff did not have any additional information about the incident in which Porter was involved that resulted in his guilty plea.

Gates said Saturday night’s fight and Porter’s death are under investigation. Porter’s body was sent to Little Rock, Ark., for an autopsy.

The sheriff said Porter’s family has been notified.

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the KTVE/KARD News App from the App Store or Google Play.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Don't Miss

Trending Stories