BATON ROUGE, La. (KTAL/KMSS) — (12/2/19) Many of you have already started or completed your holiday decorating and many of you will be starting shortly.
The Louisiana State Fire Marshal wants you to take a look at the following tips from the National Fire Protection Association to make sure you’re celebrating the holidays in the safest way possible.
- Be careful with holiday decorations. Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Keep lit candles away from decorations and other things that can burn.
- Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read the manufacturer’s instructions for the number of light strands to connect.
- Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
- Keep decorations away from windows and doors.
- Test your smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan.
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop.
- Ask smokers to smoke outside. Remind smokers to keep their smoking materials with them so young children do not touch them.
- Provide large, deep ashtrays for smokers. Wet cigarette butts with water before discarding.
Before heading out or to bed:
- Blow out lit candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Turn off all light strings and decorations before leaving home or going to bed.
For information on Christmas Tree Safety Tips click here.
- CHRISTMAS IN DOMO: Vendors, Christmas Pageant, Pearl Harbor remembrance
- Family finds list of ‘no call’ officials in Saints fan’s wallet after he passes away
- Bawcomville celebrates 13th year of the Redneck Christmas Parade
- West Monroe honors Louisiana heroes who lost their lives at Pearl Harbor
- Weekend Weather: Saturday, December 7th