(WPBN) – (11/27/19) Keeping with tradition, the United States Coast Guard’s Cutter Mackinaw is delivering more than 1,00 Christmas trees to those who need them in Chicago.
On Tuesday, 1,200 trees were loaded on the cutter in Cheboygan County, Michigan.
They will make the trek southwest to the windy city, where they will be off loaded and distributed on December 5.
The Cutter Mackinaw’s journey honors the legacy of the original Christmas tree ship, the Rouse Simmons, which sank in 1912, killing everyone on board.
- Football Friday Night: First round matchups in Louisiana; third round in Arkansas
- ‘You can shop and be safe in your own hometown,’ Small businesses urge support during this holiday season
- Pandemic not stopping Black Friday shoppers
- Beast of the Week: Trio of MAIS Champions
- New rule could allow gas, firing squads for US executions