All charges dropped against ‘Empire’ actor Jussie Smollett, attorneys say

Entertainment
JUSSIE sMOLLETT_1553617155909.jpg.jpg

(3/26/19) Prosecutors dropped all charges against “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett Tuesday.

“After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” Cook County State’s Attorney prosecutors said in a statement.

Smollett was indicted earlier this month on 16 felony counts after authorities said he filed false reports of a crime.

The indictment charged the 36-year-old with 16 counts of disorderly conduct.

“He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public, causing an inappropriate rush to judgement,” his attorneys, Tina Glandian and Patricia Brown Holmes, said in a statement.

Smollett reported to police in January that he had been attacked in Chicago in an incident that ended with a noose around his neck. Police initially investigated the case as a possible hate crime.

The indictment said Smollett told police he was attacked by two men who used racial and homophobic slurs during an attack at 2 a.m.

After police detained two brothers who were “persons of interest” in mid-February, police sources revealed that authorities suspected Smollett knew the men and allegedly had paid them $3,500 to stage the attack. The men were released without being charged.

Smollett denied any involvement in orchestrating an attack.

A FOX spokesman had no comment about the “Empire” actor’s future on the show as of Tuesday morning.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Don't Miss