(CNN) – Police say they have arrested a Brandon, Florida man outside the White House on Saturday after he threatened to assassinate President Donald Trump.
Roger Hedgpeth, 25, approached a US Secret Service police officer on patrol and said, “I am here to assassinate President Donald Trump,” according to a DC Metropolitan Police Department arrest report obtained by CNN.
Hedgpeth told the officer he planned to do it with a knife, which the Secret Service officer confiscated after a pat down search, the report said.
Hedgpeth was placed under arrest at which time the arresting officer was advised by the Secret Service that the suspect was a critically missing/endangered person as well as a mental health patient.
Hedgpeth was then moved to a hospital for a mental health evaluation where he will be held until further notice, according to the report.
- EXTENDED INTERVIEW: Matt Flynn talks LSU’s Season Opener
- Week 3 Cheat Sheet: Can Saints create big plays?
- Hurricane Laura clean up efforts continue
- GOP expecting Trump to tap Barrett for Supreme Court
- Feds: Relax protections for woodpecker endangered since 1970