Olivia Roberson joined us on Louisiana Living for Mac’s Fresh Market’s Cooking with Olivia to make Crawfish Cornbread!
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 (14.75 oz.) can cream-style corn
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
3/4 cup chopped green onion
2 cups plain yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 pound frozen, peeled crawfish tails, thawed and drained
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a 10 to 12 inch cast-iron skillet in oven 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; saute for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in seeded and minced jalapenos.
3. Stir together milk, oil, and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in corn, cheese, onion mixture, and chopped green onion.
4. Stir together cornmeal and next 5 ingredients just until blended. Stir in milk mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in crawfish. Pour into hot cast-iron skillet.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.