WEST MONROE, La. — Wednesday on Cooking with Olivia, Olivia shows us how to make fried deer steaks!
- 1 – 2 lbs. deer steak (backstrap or tenderloin)
- buttermilk (for marinade), plus 1 Tbsp for batter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp pepper
- 1 Tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 Tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- Rinse deer steak and pat dry
- Use a tenderizing meat mallet to flatten the steaks to 1/4 inch thickness
- Place steaks in a container of buttermilk and place in the refrigerator overnight
- Mix the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, seasoned salt, and cayenne pepper together on a plate or in a small pan. Drizzle 1 Tbsp of buttermilk into the flour mixture while stirring until tiny clumps start to form
- Take steaks out of buttermilk one by one and liberally coat both sides in flour mixture. Place on an empty plate until ready to fry
- Heat canola or vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil for extra flavor. Add butter. Begin to fry once butter has melted
- Cook 2-3 steaks at a time, 2 to 3 minutes on the first side until blood starts to surface. Flip over and cook for 1-2 minutes until golden brown and internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Place on a paper towel lined plate and keep warm. Repeat until all meat is cooked.
- Man arrested in Kannapolis accused of collecting weapons, threatening to kill Presidential Candidate Joe Biden
- Debate quiz: Who said it? Biden or Trump?
- Football ‘Thursday’ Night: Cedar Creek-OCS renew rivalry; Neville opens district with Franklin Parish, plus more!
- Week 7 best bets: Ride with Saints, Bucs to win
- Why Coach O chose TJ Finley as LSU’s starting QB vs Gamecocks