MONROE, La. -- ULM suffered a 12-5 setback to visiting Texas State as the Bobcats claimed victory in the series opener between the two programs Friday night at Warhawk Field.
Texas State (19-14, 8-5) plated the first runs of the game as Granger Studdard hit a grand slam over the wall in left field to put the Bobcats ahead 4-0 in the top of the third. The Warhawks (14-22, 5-8) were able to close the gap to just two runs as Jacob Stockton drove in a pair with a single back up the middle in the home half of the fourth.
The Bobcats were able to extend the lead to 7-2 with a trio of runs in the top of the sixth and the visitors added two more runs in the eighth to push the advantage to seven runs (9-2).
ULM again plated two runs, this time in the bottom half of the eighth inning as Kodie Tidwell plated a pair on a fielder’s choice.
In the ninth, Texas State plated a trio of runs, while ULM scored one in the home half of the inning to set the final tally at 12-5.
The two squads will battle in game two of the series on Saturday night with first pitch at Warhawk Field slated for 6 p.m.
For updates throughout the season on the ULM baseball team, be sure to follow the squad on twitter @ULM_BSB. Support the Warhawks through participation in the Athletic Foundation, join the ULMAF by calling 318-342-5415. Be sure to cheer on your Warhawks in person; to purchase tickets, please call 318-342-3ULM or visit the athletic ticket homepage.
- ULM falls to 28-34 all-time against Texas State… Friday’s meeting was the first between the two programs since the 2006 season.
- Jacob Stockton set a career-high with three RBI in Friday’s win.
- Ray Schexnaider made his first collegiate appearance and he tallied a single and scored a run in the bottom of the ninth.
- Texas State 4, ULM 0 – Top 3; Granger Studdard homered to left center; Matt Smith scored from third, Colby Targun scored from second, Garrett Mattlage scored from first.
- Texas State 4, ULM 2 – Bottom 4; Jacob Stockton singled up the middle; Keelin Rasch scored from third, Justin Stawychny scored from second.
- Texas State 5, ULM 2 – Top 6; Tanner Hill reached on throwing error by second baseman; Ben McElroy scored from second.
- Texas State 7, ULM 2 – Top 6; Trey Hicks singled to right center; Cory Geisler scored from third, Tanner Hill scored from second (unearned).
- Texas State 8, ULM 2 – Top 8; Ben McElroy homered to right center.
- Texas State 9, ULM 2 – Top 8; Trey Hicks singled through the left side; Cory Geisler scored from second.
- Texas State 9, ULM 4 – Bottom 8; Kodie Tidwell reached on a fielder’s choice; Justin Stawychny scored from third, Jacob Stockton scored from second.
- Texas State 10, ULM 4 – Top 9; Colby Targun homered to right field.
- Texas State 12, ULM 4 – Top 9; Cory Geisler singled up the middle; Granger Studdard scored from third (unearned), Austin O’Neal scored from second (unearned).
- Texas State 12, ULM 5 – Bottom 9; Jacob Stockton walked; Ray Schexnaider scored.
Copyright 2014 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.