JONESBORO, Ark. -- ULM’s late-inning rally came up short Friday night as the Warhawk baseball team fell to Arkansas State, 8-4, in the series opener at Kell Field/Tomlinson Stadium.
Arkansas State scored the first runs of the game as it scored three runs in the home half of the first inning. ULM closed the gap to two runs as Chet Simoneaux drove in Dalton Herrington with a RBI ground out in the top of the second inning.
The Red Wolves (22-16, 11-5) scored at least one run in the next four innings to increase its lead to seven runs at 8-1. Three of the five runs for Arkansas State came on RBI singles and the other two came on a two-run homer in the fifth.
ULM (16-24, 7-9) loaded the bases in the sixth and seventh innings but the Warhawks were unable to push any runs across. In the sixth, Jacob Stockton lined into a double play to end the inning and in the seventh, Justin Stawychny flied out to end the top of the inning.
The Warhawks made things interesting in the top of the eighth inning as the squad tallied four doubles and three different ULM batters tallied RBI to close the gap to 8-4 with a three-run frame. ULM put a pair on in the ninth, but the Warhawks were unable to get any closer as they dropped game one, 8-4.
Alex Hermeling (1-5) was tagged with the loss after allowing five runs on six hits in three innings of work. Arkansas State starter David Owen (5-2) earned the win as he surrendered one unearned run on three hits in six innings.
The two teams will battle in game two of the series tomorrow night with first pitch slated for 6 p.m.
For updates throughout the season on the ULM baseball team, be sure to follow the squad on twitter @ULM_BSB. Support the Warhawks through participation in the Athletic Foundation, join the ULMAF by calling 318-342-5415. Be sure to cheer on your Warhawks in person; to purchase tickets, please call 318-342-3ULM or visit the athletic ticket homepage.
- ULM stranded 11 runners on base, including eight in the final four innings.
- Justin Stawychny’s hit streak of 12 games and reached base streak of 14 games both came to an end Friday night.
- Keelin Rasch tied a career-high with three hits in the series opener.
- Arkansas State 1, ULM 0 – Bottom 1: Austin Baker doubled to left center; Zach Maggio scored from first.
- Arkansas State 2, ULM 0 – Bottom 1: Matt Burgess doubled down the right field line; Austin Baker scored from second.
- Arkansas State 3, ULM 0 – Bottom 1: Ty Michelotti singled through the right side; Matt Burgess scored from second.
- Arkansas State 3, ULM 1 – Top 2: Chet Simoneaux grounded out to shortstop; Dalton Herrington scored from third (unearned).
- Arkansas State 4, ULM 1 – Bottom 2: Austin Baker singled up the middle; Joe Schrimpf scored from second.
- Arkansas State 5, ULM 1 – Bottom 3: Joe Schrimpf singled up the middle; Stuart Levy scored from third.
- Arkansas State 6, ULM 1 – Bottom 4: Matt Burgess infield single; Eric Wilcoxson scored from third (unearned).
- Arkansas State 8, ULM 1 – Bottom 5: Eric Wilcoxson homered to right field; Joe Schrimpf scored from second.
- Arkansas State 8, ULM 2 – Top 8: Dalton Herrington doubled to left center; Keelin Rasch scored from second.
- Arkansas State 8, ULM 3 – Top 8: Jacob Stockton doubled down the left field line; Dalton Herrington scored from second.
- Arkansas State 8, ULM 4 – Top 8: Jeff Fuller doubled to left center; Jacob Stockton scored from second.
Angelique Kerber suffered the indignity of becoming the first ever…
With Serena Williams now on maternity leave, what impact will her…
(CNN) -- Always Dreaming, ridden by John Velazquez, finishes first in…